US Players Welcome!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 79

Thread: Michele Bachmann

  1. #1
    Senior Member Piemaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,216

    Michele Bachmann

    Wow, I thought we had our fair share of extremely unlikeable right-wing politicians, but in America you really have it bad!
    "I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences."

  2. USA Players Accepted!
  3. #2
    Senior Member darvon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    7,429

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    The Dems are trying to say that Obama can lose this, so that when he wins re-election, it will be a mandate.

    Blah. Incumbents have HUGE advantages and hardly ever lose.

    George I lost because he just gave up and didn't campaign.

    Jimmy lost because the DC Dems undermined him and he went up against a media savvy actor.

    Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, Bush all won. That's 5:2 odds even without analysis.

  4. #3
    Moderator Bullajami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mrs. Bull's Doghouse
    Posts
    10,458

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    Quote Originally Posted by Piemaster
    Wow, I thought we had our fair share of extremely unlikeable right-wing politicians, but in American you really have it bad!
    I have paid zero attention to the republicanics wannabes so far. What do you find unlikable about her?
    Peace,
    Bull

    "Agree with Bull on this one..."
    - janeg
    August 10, 2011

  5. #4

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullajami
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemaster
    Wow, I thought we had our fair share of extremely unlikeable right-wing politicians, but in American you really have it bad!
    I have paid zero attention to the republicanics wannabes so far. What do you find unlikable about her?
    I was thinking the same thing. I was faintly amused that a Brit was more informed than I was about a political candidate in my country. I'm vaguely aware that she is used as a punchline and somehow compared herself to John Wayne Gacy. That's literally all I've got. My sense is that she is something akin to Palin, a sort of "outsider" from the sticks (Minnesota?) who is ultra conservative.

    @Darvon: I'm firmly convinced that incumbents dominate in good economies and languish in poor ones. Hence the potential vulnerability of Obama.

  6. #5
    Senior Member chrisjp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    US Poker Hostage exiled in Las Vegas
    Posts
    8,767

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    Quote Originally Posted by nsidestrate
    @Darvon: I'm firmly convinced that incumbents dominate in good economies and languish in poor ones. Hence the potential vulnerability of Obama.
    Yup.

    The Media is obsessed in this country with running a Presidential Campaign no matter how far off it is. And Iowa and New Hampshire do nothing to deter them.

    Trump?
    Sarah?

    What is the deal. I must say Donald got so much hype he must be laughing all the way to his next TV production.
    Poker taught me how to be self critical and how to use to that to improve...also taught me how to dust myself off and go again. The past is the past. Learn your lessons and move right on. --Paulif

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    1,210

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    Quote Originally Posted by darvon
    The Dems are trying to say that Obama can lose this, so that when he wins re-election, it will be a mandate.

    Blah. Incumbents have HUGE advantages and hardly ever lose.

    George I lost because he just gave up and didn't campaign.

    Jimmy lost because the DC Dems undermined him and he went up against a media savvy actor.

    Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, Bush all won. That's 5:2 odds even without analysis.
    Did Johnson get re-elected or did he finish up JFK's term?
    Why should I worry about not having a 6-pack, when I'm carrying around a Pony Keg?

  8. #7
    Senior Member Piemaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,216

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullajami
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemaster
    Wow, I thought we had our fair share of extremely unlikeable right-wing politicians, but in American you really have it bad!
    I have paid zero attention to the republicanics wannabes so far. What do you find unlikable about her?
    Well from what I have read and the speeches I have seen* she seems to be an ultra-conservative against gay marrige (she has described homosexuality as a 'sexual disfunction') and abortion, who uses the word 'God' way too much and labels anybody who disagrees with her as 'Un-American'. She is also a denier of global warming and evolution.

    Also on a personal level she just looks like a plastic product of some kind of politician factory. Then again, I think the British are generally suspicious of people (both men and women) with 'perfect hair', so this may be a bit of prejudice coming through.

    * Some of which were admittedly hand-picked by the BBC, but the stories themselves weren't really anti-Bachmann in nature so I'll give the BBC the benefit of the doubt for now (I give them much less credit than I used to)
    "I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences."

  9. #8
    Senior Member chrisjp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    US Poker Hostage exiled in Las Vegas
    Posts
    8,767

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew21
    Did Johnson get re-elected or did he finish up JFK's term?
    Yes, and yes. He got elected for the first time in the landslide against Goldwater, but he was already the President of course.

    Actually Johnson could have run for re-election since he served out the Kennedy's short remaining term, but the Vietnam War was very polarizing and who knows if he would have been re-elected. He decided not to run and Nixon defeated Humphrey.

    I can't believe I was in MIddle and High School when all this transpired--didn't have to look it up.
    Poker taught me how to be self critical and how to use to that to improve...also taught me how to dust myself off and go again. The past is the past. Learn your lessons and move right on. --Paulif

  10. #9
    Senior Member kinnipak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,879
    "I'm not in the mood"
    -said by no serious golfer ever

  11. #10
    Senior Member Piscivorous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US Online Poker Hostage
    Posts
    6,254

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    Quote Originally Posted by kinnipak
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/michele-bachmanns-holy-war-20110622?page=1
    Rolling Stone on politics? Might as well look for bowling tips in Golf Magazine......
    Harold Camping was wrong. The world ended on April 15th, 2011.

  12. #11
    Senior Member chrisjp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    US Poker Hostage exiled in Las Vegas
    Posts
    8,767

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    Quote Originally Posted by Piscivorous
    Rolling Stone on politics? Might as well look for bowling tips in Golf Magazine......
    Gotta agree with Pisc on this one.
    Poker taught me how to be self critical and how to use to that to improve...also taught me how to dust myself off and go again. The past is the past. Learn your lessons and move right on. --Paulif

  13. #12
    Senior Member darvon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    7,429

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    Quote Originally Posted by Piscivorous
    Quote Originally Posted by kinnipak
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/michele-bachmanns-holy-war-20110622?page=1
    Rolling Stone on politics? Might as well look for bowling tips in Golf Magazine......

    Yep. I always look for my analysis of Republicans from Rolling Stone and my analysis of Democrats from Guns and Ammo magazine.

  14. #13
    Senior Member darvon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    7,429

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    I also have zero knowledge of Bachman, nor about any politics of the last 10 years. I got extremely "inside" in national Republican politics about 15 years ago and saw the sausage being made. I got irritated and dropped out.

    So if the BBC thinks Bachman is a loon, which Dem do they think a loon? They might not be discussing this under the assumption of Obama incumbancy, but back in 2008, who was the Dem loon?

    @Nside, go back 60 years and the incumbent wins 6:2. Certainly the economy wasn't great for all 6 of those. In fact, I think in 84 the economy was still marginal after the cratering of the 70s. IIRC 1982 was a big down year, so 1984 couldn't have been all that great. 56 was probably Ok, 64 was ok too, but Johnson was a lock. 72 wasn't that great, didn't we have price controls? 80 was just Carter v Reagan. 92 was Bush quitting but the economy was fine. 96 was rockin'. 2004 was ok.

    I don't see a good correlation between incumbancy success and failure and the economy.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Piscivorous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US Online Poker Hostage
    Posts
    6,254

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    Quote Originally Posted by darvon
    So if the BBC thinks Bachman is a loon, which Dem do they think a loon? They might not be discussing this under the assumption of Obama incumbancy, but back in 2008, who was the Dem loon?
    Kucinich
    Harold Camping was wrong. The world ended on April 15th, 2011.

  16. #15

    Re: Michele Bachmann

    Quote Originally Posted by darvon
    I don't see a good correlation between incumbancy success and failure and the economy.
    Well, there are always other factors. Nate Silver weighs in on unemployment.

    How many incumbents have lost? I've got Ford, Carter and Bush I. Who else?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •